Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What's for dinner - Kung Pao chicken






I'm cheating a little on this one - using Dynasty bottled spicy hot Kung Pao sauce. My Mom is really good at coming up with sauces on her own, but I need a little help. I looked at the ingredients, and I'm going to make it myself when the bottle runs out. The main ingredients appear to be water, rice vinegar, sesame oil and jalapeño pepper. This sauce would also be good for potstickers - Trader Joe's makes a veggie version that steams well (pan frying works too) and I can see it working with this sauce as a dipper.
So, the ingredients for tonight's meal - Kung Pao chicken:
2 large skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 to 3/4 bell pepper
2 carrots
1/2 purple onion
I cut the veg in bite size pieces and set aside. Meanwhile I browned the chicken in a skillet and added some olive oil, then the veg and let it simmer on low for a few minutes, then added the sauce. It smells so good in here right now.
On the side I'm making a brown basmati rice (thank you again Trader Joe's) with chipotle en adobo - just broke off a couple of pieces from my freezer bag and put it in with the rice and after browning the rice in a little olive oil. I used about 3/4 cup rice and 2 cups of water - chicken stock would be good too but I didn't have any tonight. This would be nice garnished with cilantro but alas, we're out of that too!
A good trick for leftover chipotle peppers en adobo (comes in a small can) is to freeze it in a ziplock, flat and then you just break off what you need. Convenient and waste free. I use it on baked chicken and in an arroz con pollo that I make on the stovetop. Spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment