Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ode to Mexican candy


I am a big fan of Mexican candy. Two of my favorites are pictured here - chewy mango candies and lollypops with salted plums (paletas con saladitas). The mango candies I have tried go under the names of Mangomis and Go Mango. I have seen one of these brands at Food City, where you can also find Pulparindo (the tamarind candy I am so fond of). There are dulcerias - Mexican candy shops - where you can find a greater variety. I have not been to the one near me yet, but I understand that some of them sell party supplies like pinatas and rent brinca-brincas (the bouncy castles). If you want to plan a party for your child - or loved one who is childlike (who, me?) - a dulceria might be a good place to start. There are a couple of them at the Phoenix Swap Meet at 67th Avenue and Thomas. I went there a few weeks ago and was impressed at all of the items "a la Mexicana." Was tempted to buy boots and a matching belt (my novio will laugh at this).

No comments:

Post a Comment