Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chicken fajita pasties


I'm a frugal gal these days...but I still like variety. How can one achieve variety in cuisine using leftovers, do you ask? Well, if you've made chicken fajitas yesterday, you can have chicken fajita pasties today, with minimal effort - no joke! I combined a stick of butter with 1 1/3 cups of flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt and ice cold water to combine. Then I let the dough rest in the refrig for 30 mins before rolling. Roll the dough as thin as you can get it (dust with flour) without having it stick to your rolling pin or the surface, then fill with your leftover fajitas and crimp the edges and make slits so the filling can steam - you can also add chipotle en adobo but I forgot to do this. Look how yummy they turned out. And they smell amazing...

Speaking of rolling, I was reminiscing recently about my Mom's old rolling pin - it was wooden, thin and made by my late grandfather Elmer, who formed it from a dowel. He made one for my aunt and my grandmother as well. He was a clever man... always fixing things, such as our 8 track tapes, which inevitably needed repair after being handled so much by my brother and me. Speaking of rolling pins, I have been promised a new one via my boyfriend's sister in Hermosillo. The ones they use there are quite thin and he promises that it will look much different than a traditional one that I use at home. I am always excited about a new kitchen gadget.

The pies bake at a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. These are good with a salad but tonight I think we are having them solo.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment