Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chicken pasties


I made Cornish chicken pasties last weekend and they were delicious! So... I was motivated to make them again today, being that it is Saturday, I enjoy cooking in my free time, and cooking in helps us save money. A few weeks ago we discovered a place in Tempe, AZ that makes them and they are very tasty, they have many varieties (my boyfriend had one with chicken and veg, I had one with beef and veg) but if your budget is tiny, give this recipe a go. You'll be pleased with the results!

This recipe makes 3 large pasties
The crust:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 sticks butter
ice cold water to bind
3/4 tsp salt
The filling:
1 large skinless boneless chicken breast
1 medium potato
1/2 onion (I like white)
handful of button mushrooms
olive or veg oil for browning

Make the crust and refrigerate for at least 45 mins before using.
In the meantime, cut your veggies into bite size pieces and, saute them together in a skillet with oil. Then set aside to cool and do the same with the chicken.
When the chicken is done, let it cool and take out your dough from the frig.
Divide the dough in 3 parts, flour a flat surface and proceed to roll, quite thin (as you can get it without it sticking).
Once you have a good sized circle of dough, fill it with your chicken and veg mixture, at this point you can also add some adobo sauce (from canned chipotle en adobo) or a sprinkling of fresh or dried rosemary (I made both since my boyfriend likes things enchiloso and I am a fan of rosemary).
Crimp the edges of the pie and place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for 20 mins at 400 degree preheated oven.
You do not need an egg wash on the top of these since there is so much butter the dough, I find it browns nicely.
If you have extra filling, it works nicely in an omelet.


A green salad with vinagrette goes well with this meal, I like romaine lettuce or arugula with tomatoes, purple onions and olives.
If you wanted to make this more fancy - say if you are inviting friends...then open a bottle of riesling or chianti and maybe one of your guests can bring dessert :)

No comments:

Post a Comment