Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

French fries and new spatula



I bought a new spatula today (see photo). I'm excited because I've needed one for a long time but I've been pinching pennies. I liked that it is green (cheerful). If you don't have a good one, go down to Target and get yours for $1.99. Well worth it! I'm going to be using it a lot since I bake at least a couple of times a week...like today. Another sour cream coffee cake, coming up. But first, there must be lunch. French fries, to be exact. I like potatoes with the skin on - my Mom taught me to wash the skins really well so that we could enjoy the whole potato when she would make bakers - the skin was always my favorite part. She would butter the outside of the potatoes and cook them in a 400 degree oven so the skin would get crispy but the inside of the potato would still be soft.
For fries, I take 3-4 small russet potatoes - or 2 large ones - wash them well, then slice them in good sized wedges and soak them in ice cold water for 10 minutes.
Then I dry them and put them on a cookie sheet with a few tablespoons of olive oil.
Bake at 430 oven for 10 minutes in a preheated oven, turning them so they brown evenly and knocking the temperature back about 10 degrees and giving them another 10. They will be brown and delicious, like these.
I like to put a little kosher salt on them and let them rest a few minutes since they are screaming hot when they come out. It's like eating bar food, which I enjoy immensely. Speaking of bar food, Hazelwoods Bar near me has a trivia night that is kind of fun - on Wednesdays. And their wings are delish. A black and tan sure does sound good right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment