This looks delicious and simple to make. I can't wait to try it.
Stir-Fried Beef and Sugar Snap Peas with Sesame Oil and Seeds
Published: May 14, 2010
Time: 30 minutes
1 pound lean beef, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
3 tablespoons tamari or dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, more for drizzling
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
3 fat scallions
2/3 cup chicken broth
2 1/2 tablespoons Madeira or sweet sherry
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons peanut or olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
Rice, for serving
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Sriracha or other hot sauce, or rice wine vinegar and chili oil, for garnish.
1. In a medium bowl, mix beef, 2 tablespoons tamari, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Thinly slice sugar snap peas crosswise into disks. Thinly slice scallions, reserving dark green parts for garnish.
3. In a small bowl, mix chicken broth, Madeira, 2 tablespoons water, remaining 1 tablespoon tamari and cornstarch.
4. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When pan is hot, stir-fry beef until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer beef and any liquid to a plate.
5. Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and when hot, add garlic and white and light green scallion parts until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add sugar snap peas and chicken broth mixture, lower heat to medium and cover. Let cook for 2 minutes. Transfer beef and juices to skillet and stir-fry 2 minutes. Serve over rice, garnished with more sesame oil, sesame seeds, dark parts of scallions, and hot sauce or vinegar and chili oil.
Yield: 4 servings.