Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Steak salad from Mark Bittman at nytimes.com

I love a good steak salad. I make mine with romaine lettuce, almonds, dried cranberries and a red wine vinaigrette, using Trader Joes Estate California olive oil, because it is fruity and oh so tasty. And I like using skirt steak. Sear on both sides for 2 minutes each. Let it rest for a couple of minutes and slice it on the bias.

Make yours today.

Delish!

Here is a version from Mark Bittman...

Yes: Another Steak Salad

Mark Bittman

I like this steak salad thing, which fits into many of my rules at once: You use one steak to serve four people; you use practically every vegetable you can lay your hands on; you keep it completely simple; and you make the thing taste good.

This one actually was not quite as simple as some, because it required sitting around watching baseball while some vegetables were roasting.

In a skillet, I put three bell peppers (two red, one yellow, because that’s what I had), two huge shallots, a few tiny potatoes, and some olive oil. I roasted all of these in the oven at 425 degrees until the peppers collapsed, which took a good 40 minutes. I covered the pan with foil, and, when they were cool, peeled the peppers. I also peeled the shallots and “chopped” them (the quotes because they were so soft at that point that the knife pretty much pureed them), and diced the potatoes (I left their skins on).

Meanwhile, I washed a couple of types of lettuce: butter and romaine (one of my closest friends, discussed in this article on using “loser” lettuces), and then discovered I had, in a burst of enthusiasm after returning from San Francisco, the three key Southeast Asian herbs in my fridge: cilantro, mint, and basil. This determined my choice of dressing.

I cranked the oven up to its maximum. I had a decent sirloin strip, which I threw in a hot cast-iron skillet and immediately put in the oven. I turned it after about four minutes, and declared it done after a total of seven. (It could’ve been a minute too long.) I took it out and let it rest for ten minutes, and while I was waiting made the dressing: peanut oil, rice vinegar, chopped shallot, sesame oil (a teaspoon, maybe), and fish sauce (a tablespoon or so – enough to really taste).

I also washed and chopped a lot of herbs.

I tossed the herbs with the lettuces; I topped the green stuff with the peppers, shallots, and potatoes. I drizzled all of this with the dressing. (Actually, I poured the dressing in there; “drizzling” is not something I do well.) I sliced the steak, and put it on top.

And I fed four people with this, the other three of whom appeared pretty happy. I know I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment