Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

La Jolla


These guys have great Italian food


Ahhhhh...poolside at La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club.

If you have never been to La Jolla, I highly recommend you visit. If you have been before, I recommend you return. Now! Right now!

I spent this weekend in La Jolla visiting with my Dad, my brother and his family and my sister. We had the best time, did some swimming, relaxing and most importantly, eating, according to this kitchen wench!

On Saturday we all spent time at the pool at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club (see picture). We swam, had drinks and caught up on the latest family news. The pool water was about 80 degrees according to a club member (laa dee da) while the ocean hovers around 60 something. So, we opted for the pool...

My Dad's friend Dianne joined us for dinner at Osteria Romantica where we had to wait awhile but the food was worth it. I had the spinach salad with duck breast and Dianne had a romantica salad which also looked delicious (but not as delicious as mine). The salads at Osteria Romantica are very fresh with a viniagrette dressing that is light but coats the greens well. My salad had golden raisins which I enjoy very much.

For the entree I had penne pasta with sausage, peppers and mushrooms in a light tomato sauce. It had just the right touch of garlic and I had enough to take home for lunch the next day (that would be today) and this frugal kitchen wench always appreciates having leftovers available. My Dad and Dianne opted for the stuffed salmon which included scallops and crab. They both enjoyed it and alongside the entree there were roasted potatoes and sauteed veg that appeared to be carrots and broccoli. Everything on their plates looked, well, yummy.

Osteria Romantica makes their own bread, it is crusty and delicious. They serve it with an uncooked marinara sauce which is very fresh tasting and garlicky. I was glad to also have access to butter (upon request) and Dianne was happy to receive olive oil to dip her bread in (upon request). Dad and I had a glass of merlot and then I had a second glass of chianti which I couldn't finish and we shared; Dianne had a chardonnay so we were not drinking alone, which was good. I never want to appear to be the only lush at the table. Haha.

I digress...for dessert Dianne had tiramisu and I had a cannoli which my Dad stuck his fork in a few times. Dad and I also had a cappuccino. Being a coffee snob (I make my own lattes every day) I can honestly say that Osteria Romantica has great java. They put a little ground nutmeg on top of their capuccinos which is a special touch. The milk is not too frothy and the coffee tastes very fresh and not bitter.

So...the moral of this post, get yourself to Osteria Romantica and The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club as soon as possible. You may have to charge it - the rooms with a kitchenette start at $219 (off season, of course for this frugal kitchen wench) but, the upside is, it's right on the beach, and it is private. And, they have an amazing pool and their poolside restaurant is excellent (get yourself a blt). You get cozy terry cloth robes in your room. You will feel like a princess for a day, which as us ladies know, is not necessarily a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment