Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cooking in tonight - spaghetti with sausage

It's nice to cook for someone who likes your cooking, and whom you like - a lot.

Recently I started a new job - and with that comes a new schedule. Honestly, I haven't felt too much like making dinner lately...but tonight I was inspired by my very significant other, Jason, to make spaghetti with sausage.

It was fortuitous, already having picked up sausage yesterday at DeFalco's Deli on Scottsdale Road.

All I needed to get next was:
1 can 16 oz chopped tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
2 plum tomatoes
1 1/2 bell peppers
1/2 large yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
olive oil

To make the spaghetti sauce, I sauteed a few onion slices in olive oil, until transparent on medium heat, then added 2 minced garlic cloves and let them sit in the oil for about a minute. Then I added the chopped tomatoes, plum tomatoes, and 1/2 bell pepper and stirred. Then I added the tomato sauce and changed the temperature setting to medium low - so it would simmer, uncovered.

In the meantime I placed 4 italian sausages in a square baking dish lined with foil and preheated the oven to 400 degrees. To the sausages I added 1 bell pepper, cut in strips and 1/4 of a large yellow onion, sliced. This baked for 1 hour uncovered, and I took it out twice to stir it around so the onions and peppers could immerse in the juices of the sausages.

To serve, I removed the sausage and sliced it, placing it on a bed of spaghetti, topped with the sauce. Along side I placed the onions and peppers. Jason deemed it a presentation worthy of a photo opportunity. I hope you agree.

Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment