Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Things to do in San Diego, free or inexpensive #2

I'm still here in Carlsbad, visiting with my Dad. I hitched a ride with Wanda, so my trip hasn't really costed me anything except dining experiences and food shopping. I realize this makes me a lucky duck.

I digress. I know there are some zonies out here with me so I'm sharing free, inexpensive and fun things to do with you.

Carlsbad Village Farmers Market, Saturdays 1-5 pm
Roosevelt street between Grand Avenue and Carlsbad Village Drive, Carlsbad

Ellen Salk has a "Shaker Loops" art exhibit that is free (free!) through June 19 at Antenaeum Music and Arts Library. 1008 Wall Street. La Jolla. ljathenaeum.org

Fiesta del Sol festival, this Saturday and Sunday from 9am-9pm at Fletcher Cove Park. Free. Willie Nelson's son Lukas will be there singing, along with B-Side Players and Aggrolites. 111 S. Sierra Ave. Solana Beach. fiestadelsol.net

The San Diego county fair is coming up starting June 12. I won't be here but some of you may want to take advantage this year. There are some cool acts: on June 19 Guy Fieri (from Food Network), June 25 is Julio Iglesias (be still my heart) and June 13 is Tigres del Norte. I would so like to see this band that has a huge, huge following. www.sdfair.com

Gourd Art Festival takes place June 26 and 27. My Mom would like this, for sure. The always likes to have gourds on the table around Thanksgiving time. For this event, there will be more than 40 gourd art exhibitors, along with hands-on crafting, demonstrations, competitions, food, beverages and...wine! Tickets $11 at the door or $8 in advance. Welburn Gourd farm. Fallbrook. gourdfestival.com

Encinitas Ale has 2 for 1 burgers on Tuesday night. Also they are doing a promotion for 80 pints in 80 days, if you are lucky to be here for that length of time. Finish 80 pints in 80 days (impressive) and you get your name on a plaque that sits on the wall in Ale House. Fun!!
1044 South Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas. encinitasalehouse.com

Delight of France bakery in Escondido has amazing and delicious chicken salad sandwiches on a french baguette and yummy pastries. I am hoping to get there on this trip. They carry pellegrino sparkling sodas which can be hard to find and their orange juice is very fresh and tasty.
Delight of France. 126 W Grand Ave, Escondido, CA 92025

VG Donut and Bakery has amazing donuts. I also spied in their ad that they make cakes that look like an ocean scene. Neat! Back in the day when my family used to go to La Jolla Beach and Tennis club in Septembers (yes my folks took us out of school to take advantage of the off season rates) the quickie mart received a fresh shipment of donuts from VG every day. We were recently at the same quickie mart and they no longer get them. Bummer! But you can visit them at 106 Aberdeen, Cardiff. vgbakery.com

Lots to do in San Diego. And great eats. (Need to win the lotto to do/eat all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment