Green Garlic Caesar Salad With Anchovy Croutons
Published: June 4, 2010
Time: 30 minutes
A Good Appetite: Caesar Salad With True Flavor (June 9, 2010)
1/2 cup olive oil
7 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
1 large head green garlic (outer layer, stalk and root end removed) or substitute 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 ounces crusty day-old bread in 3/4-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 large eggs
2 large or 3 small heads romaine lettuce, separated into leaves and torn into pieces, if desired (about 10 cups)
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated.
1. Make croutons: Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the anchovies and cook, stirring, until they melt into oil, about 2 minutes. Stir in half the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about one minute. Add bread cubes, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toast, tossing frequently, until croutons are golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Make dressing: In medium bowl, whisk together remaining garlic and anchovies, plus lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire and remaining pepper. Slowly whisk in remaining olive oil.
3. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Lower eggs into pan. For nearly raw eggs cook for 90 seconds; for soft boiled, cook for 4 minutes. Rinse eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle.
4. Combine lettuce, cheese and croutons in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss well. Crack eggs into salad, scooping out any whites clinging to shell and toss once more. Add salt to taste.
Yield: 2 to 4 servings.
- I'm not a big fan of anchovies, but I know a lot of folks like Caesar Salad. Enjoy!