I'm a big fan of cabbage so I'm going to make this soup. It comes from http://thirtyaweek.wordpress.com, one of the food blogs I really enjoy.
I think it would be good with some rye bread and butter. I might throw in a couple of pieces of fried bacon that my Mom gifted me with today. She also made me an awesome blt on whole wheat bread.
Make this soup, as it looks economical, and well...yummy.
Red Cabbage Soup
- teaspoon or more (if you like) of olive oil
- half an onion, chopped
- half a cup of white wine (or water)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the onion. Sautee until onion gets soft and translucent (about 5 minutes) and then add wine.
- Add the cabbage and stir it around a bit. Stir in the broth and the chopped carrot. Add a little bit of salt and pepper here.
- Bring the heat down to a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes. If you want to add more broth or water, go ahead (this wasn’t a measured process).
- Add the pasta and paprika and bring the soup to a boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Taste and add salt and pepper until it tastes great. Serve.