Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Red Cabbage Soup - from thirtyaweek blog

I'm a big fan of cabbage so I'm going to make this soup. It comes from http://thirtyaweek.wordpress.com, one of the food blogs I really enjoy.

I think it would be good with some rye bread and butter. I might throw in a couple of pieces of fried bacon that my Mom gifted me with today. She also made me an awesome blt on whole wheat bread.

I digress.

Make this soup, as it looks economical, and well...yummy.

Red Cabbage Soup

Ingredients:

  • teaspoon or more (if you like) of olive oil
  • half an onion, chopped
  • half a cup of white wine (or water)
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup pasta shells
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste

To Do:

  1. Heat oil in a large pot and add the onion. Sautee until onion gets soft and translucent (about 5 minutes) and then add wine.
  2. Add the cabbage and stir it around a bit. Stir in the broth and the chopped carrot. Add a little bit of salt and pepper here.
  3. Bring the heat down to a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes. If you want to add more broth or water, go ahead (this wasn’t a measured process).
  4. Add the pasta and paprika and bring the soup to a boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
  5. Taste and add salt and pepper until it tastes great. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment