Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2010

San Diego

My Dad

The Cheese Shop has great sandwiches
(and sells frisbees!)

A lonely seagull seemed like he wanted his picture taken


I visited with my Dad this weekend in San Diego. It was super fun. On Saturday morning we drank bloody marys poolside at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club. They were delicious, with celery and big Spanish olives that I like.

I paid for it the rest of the trip... but it was so nice to see my Dad and spend some goofy time together. He's looking good these days, about to turn 70 - but very spritely. We played frisbee on the beach and walked around the cove area and saw the seals at Children's Beach in La Jolla.

We also visited (twice!) a great restaurant near the tennis club called Osteria Romantica. For dinner last night he had cioppino and pronounced it one of the best he's had. It had a lot of fish, including a flaky whitefish, shrimp, mussels, squid (rings and tentacles) and clams and a tasty tomato based broth. I had a spaghetti dish with sausage, peppers and mushrooms in a light tomato sauce. Oh, and I had a duck breast salad with pine nuts, golden raisins and spinach in a very light vinaigrette. We shared a cannoli for dessert and both had a cappuccino. Delish! For lunch today we went back and I had a beet salad with arugula and walnuts in a light viniagrette and my Dad has veal scallopini with marsala sauce. His dish came with carrots, broccoli and thinly sliced zucchini that were not overcooked as many vegetables at restaurants can be.

www.osteriaromantica.com

La Jolla is such a great spot. If you haven't been, I highly recommend a visit.

Now!

Now!

Right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment