Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Take a trip to Spain - eat at Iruña


Filet mignon at Iruña is an out of body experience.


Patatas bravas are their own food group. Order two.


Tortilla de patatas.


Jason approved of our dining experience.

Tonight I took a trip back to Spain with Jason. We dined at Iruña in Scottsdale.

¡Dios Mio!

You must go now, I mean ahora mismo, to Iruña.

We dined on patatas bravas (order two of these when you go), jamón serrano, tortilla de patatas, gazpacho, pan con tomate and finished with filet mignon.

I imbibed almost a whole pitcher of red wine sangria. In the spirit of full disclosure, Jason doesn't drink, and it was free (a coupon provided by the nice people at Aaron May's sister restaurant Overeasy).

We both had coffee (latte for Jason, capuccino for me) and shared an apple dessert that had caramel and a type of magdalena (muffin) with vanilla ice cream.

Spain on crack, basically.

The tapas menu, which we ate mostly from, is valid from 4:30-6:30 pm. Smaller plates, but you can try a lot more.

We talked to this nice couple who sat next to us on the patio. They had just been to Madrid (three weeks ago) so they knew what I was talking about when I asked for pacharán. That is the only thing missing at Iruña.

I guess it's time to make a new batch. Where do I get juniper berries? Someone recently told me I could hunt and gather them in Flagstaff for free. Free is good. The last time I ordered them from England (pricey) and then fermented them in anisette for 6 months. Quite a potent beverage, Pacharán casera (homemade pacharán).

I told Jason about the concept of the "aceituna de verguenza" i.e. the last olive on the plate being "the embarrassed one." In our case it was the last piece of filet mignon. He understood, and ate the last piece of steak. Quickly.

He's a good study!

http://www.irunaaz.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment