Search This Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

Lemon lemon loaf - from huffingtonpost.com


Be still my heart!




Einstein's Bagels used to make a lemon currant scone and ever since they stopped making them I have been looking for a sweet that would put the "lemon" back in my diet. This lemon lemon loaf adapted from huffingtonpost.com is going to be just the ticket, I think.

You need:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar (I like Zulka moreno for this)
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
1/8 cup grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
1/4 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream your butter and add the sugar. Cream again and add eggs. Beat until smooth, then add your sour cream, lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Beat again until smooth. Then add your dry ingredients and beat a final time.

Turn your batter out into a buttered loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 325 and bake for another 30-35 minutes until your toothpick comes out clean.

Let your cake cool for 15 minutes before turning it onto a plate or baking rack.

There is an optional glaze for this cake that is 1 cup confectioners sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.

It occurs to me that blueberries would be good in this, or in the spirit of Einstein's Bagels scones (R.I.P.), you could add currants.

This came out with a nice brownish crust. I am going to make the glaze and take some over to my Mom and brother today, since they treated me to a delicious lunch of homemade pizza yesterday.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment