Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Collin Street Bakery fruitcake, dynamo donuts and culinary dropout


I ordered a deluxe fruitcake about a month ago and I've been nibbling on it here and there for breakfast. It's about halfway done, so I might have to order another one before Christmas.

I know, I know. It's a strange relationship. Fruitcake has that reputation of being passed from one family to another but it's something I enjoy so much, especially when it starts cooling off. The fruitcake from Collin Street Bakery (Corsicana TX) is moist and dense, full of fruits and nuts and not too sweet. I slice it very thin and eat about two or three slices with a big latte.

Along with things sweet, I found out recently about Dynamo Donuts in San Francisco, which I hope to visit soon. They have an apple bacon donut. That is all I needed to hear. When I go I will post a picture (or pictures depending on how many I consume) and a review. Did I mention Manu Chao is going to be in San Francisco October 15th (in two days) at The Warfield?

Culinary Dropout is at the Waterfront at Scottsdale Road and Camelback. I went there last week for a late supper after watching one of the flicks at Scottsdale Film Festival at Camelview Theatre. That is such a great theatre. I like it's smallness (5 screens) and that they play indie and foreign films. A good fit for me.

Culinary Dropout has Iberian ham, which I love love love. Salty and savory. They serve it thinly sliced (several slices) with breadsticks and then I had a side of beets in oil/vinegar with a gin and tonic. This was just what I needed, a munching that was not too heavy but all first quality. I finished it off with a latte and went home happy (but not fat haha).




No comments:

Post a Comment