Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Apple pie


Mmmm apple pie.

I'm doing some baking today before heading over to Mom's. My brother and his family are in town from Fillmore and we're going to do some major eating.

The apple pie is finished and the pumpkin pie is in the oven with about 30 minutes to go. The kosher bird goes in the oven at 10:00 am and will cook for 4 hours at 325 degrees until the internal temp is 165 degrees.

Details, details...

The apple pie filling recipe comes from momswhothink.com

3 lbs granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
the juice of 1 lemon (so apples don't brown)
3/4 cup regular sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp butter
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk

Peel/slice your apples and juice a lemon over them and turn them around, so they don't brown. Then add your dry ingredients and stir, then place in your unbaked pie shell (Crisco recipe, posted recently). I topped this with a deconstructed style crust since my crust didn't come out in one piece. Originally I would have made a lattice crust since that always looks pretty. I sprinkled the top with sugar and baked it at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

I didn't use the butter, egg yolk or milk as the recipe calls for but I wanted to include them as per the original.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment